The Research Centre in Basic Education (CIEB) is a research unit focused on the specificities of basic education, understood as fundamental for learning and, consequently for the development of societies, ensuring the participation, equality and social justice.
The CIEB focuses on a holistic vision of education that connect the curriculum, in-service and pre-service teacher education, collaborative work with educational contexts, pedagogy and didactics, and applied research to promote innovation and the quality of students' learning and professional development.
The mission that stems from this vision of education is assumed in the development of projects of pedagogical intervention, carried out through cooperative support to the learning of students and their families, in promoting their educational and social success, and improvement of their basic and transversal learning skills, through training and collaborating with professionals, creating a solid technical-scientific knowledge that can be used as reference and a fundamental basis in the design and evaluation of programs of intervention and educational change.
identify the opportunities of pedagogical innovation in students' learning and in teacher training in basic education;
design, monitor and evaluate pedagogical and organizational projects for the development of enabling learning environments;
create praxeological knowledge to support teacher practices and students' learning in basic education, assessing its social and academic impact;
promote the publication of scientific, critical research and collective works;
promote the initiation of undergraduate or master students to research and contribute to advanced training of human resources at PhD level;
promote the cooperation and exchange with other national and international research units.
Considering the holistic vision of education and its main objectives, the CIEB, through the action of its members, assumes the following priorities for 2018-2022:
- the identification of enabling or constraining conditions to the development of pedagogical training and innovation practices in the learning community;
- the definition of strategies to promote educational training and pedagogical innovation in several learning contexts;
- the development of models and practices of teaching and learning in staff-based learning;
- the promotion of projects or programs of pedagogical training innovation in the learning community;
- the production of scientific, pedagogical and technological literature, resources and material;
- strengthen national and international cooperation and partnership on collaboration programs and education projects.